- 150g/5½oz long grain or rice” class=”recipe-ingredients__link”>basmati rice
- 2 tbsp sesame, vegetable or olive oil
- 2 large free-range eggs, beaten
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- ½ red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3cm/1¼in piece fresh root ginger, peeled and grated (optional)
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 50g/1¾oz frozen peas, defrosted (optional)
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- salt and black pepper
- Tip the rice into a medium saucepan. Add 300ml/10fl oz water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover with a lid and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, drain off any excess water and leave to steam dry, uncovered in the pan until ready to use.
- Heat a tablespoon of the oil in a frying pan or wok over a medium heat. Add the eggs and cook, stirring, until scrambled. Transfer to a plate and return the pan to the heat.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in the pan over a high heat. Add the onion and pepper, then season with salt and pepper. Fry for 2 minutes, then add the garlic and ginger, if using, and fry for a further minute.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the cooked rice, spring onions, peas, if using, scrambled egg and soy sauce. Toss together and cook for 3–5 minutes, or until heated through.